The southern end of the chain of reservoirs at Rivington, the Lower Rivington Reservoir features a castle on the Eastern shore and an outdoor centre with boating facilities on it’s Western shore.
Interestingly the filtration plant at the southern end of the reservoir was the biggest in the world when first constructed. There is now a modern water treatment plant in place of the old sand filter beds.
The Lower Rivington Reservoir was constructed by 1857 at which time the first water was supplied by underground pipe to Prescot.
Lat: 53.615738 Lon: -2.567373
Marker type: Lake